Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Fabric!

I know I said that I would blog about a book, but it occurred to me that one of the things people ask me about is where I find my fabric. My answer? All over! I've recycled fabric I've had lying around, I've gone on fabric-shopping sprees, and I've even got a project I'm working to make a book out of a purse. My favorite part of the process of book-making is looking at a piece of fabric and letting my imagination run wild as to what it could be.

My favorite place to go, of course, is JoAnn Fabric. Not only does it have lots of variety in fabric, it has rows of fat quarters. I can make 3-4 books out of a fat quarter, depending on the design of the fabric. Sometimes Hobby Lobby has a good bin of fat quarter bundles too. 

I do love recycling fabrics as well. Right now I have five books listed that I made using just one pair of my husband's ABU pants. As I mentioned above, there's a purse that I picked up at a thrift store that I'm taking apart and trying to figure out how to make a book out of it.

By looking at my books, however, I see that one of the biggest sources of fabric that I used was my friend Heather, who taught me how to make books by hand. She had a bin full of fabric that we loved to just open up and let ourselves dream of all the things we could do. If I hadn't moved to Nebraska and she hadn't moved to Japan, my Etsy shop would probably have two proprietors. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment